Friday, June 6, 2008

The First of Many To Come (Pictures, I Mean)

I'm sure most people have heard that we have a little boy on the way. If you haven't, just read the previous post to get caught up. He's due October 12th. It took us a while to get these ultrasound pictures up, but now that I think about it, whenever I saw other people's ultrasound pictures I never really knew what I was looking at and didn't think they were that great. Now that I'm on the other end, well, it's different.

It was awesome to watch the screen and not have warm jelly smothered on my stomach. You'd have to ask Elizabeth about how that felt. The ultrasound tech was a little more quiet than we would have liked, seeing as we had no idea what we were looking at. She did, however, point out the brain, the spinal chord, the beating heart, and all the stuff you see in the pictures. She said she couldn't see a cleft lip, and there was no evidence of spina bifida, so we can cross those two issues off our list of things that could go wrong. Now we're just worrying about the millions of other potential problems. Hopefully we can cut a few of those out along the way as well.

Here are the pictures. If you can't tell what they are, then put your eyes right up next to the screen and slowly move back after 10 seconds of not blinking. Or you can just try and figure it out from the descriptions I'll give...


This is the boy's arm. He had it up by his head.

This is supposed to be the boy's face. We still have a hard time figuring this one out. I think that the little hole at the top of the picture is supposed to be an eye socket. If it is, it means he's looking up and away from where you are sitting. I could be wrong, that's our best guess though.

These are the boy's legs. Notice the definition in the upper calf. Soccer player, for sure. World Cup 2026, here we come.

This is the profile shot. He's looking up at the top of the screen.

I believe this picture speaks for itself.


In other news, we've had a few things going on.

Elizabeth was recently hired to work at a ginormous scrapbooking store at the mall called Archiver's. She wasn't too thrilled about finding a job for the summer and being pregnant at the same time, but I think she'll like working there. She's always wanted to get a little more into scrapbooking, so this is a good opportunity. She'll even be teaching classes on how to make stuff.

Not a whole lot has been going on with me. I'm doing well in my O-chem class and trying to get ready for the MCAT. I take it in a week. If I can do as well as I did on my last practice run, I should be in good shape. We'll see how it goes.

I also received a call from my research partner at the hospital. We've been working on a project with Dr. Matt Leavitt, Dad's cousin, involving a certain type of lymphoma. We started back in January or so. Anyway, the call was about how the hospital's cancer committee wanted Dr. Leavitt to present his research at a little conference next Wednesday. Unfortunately Dr. Leavitt will be out of town, but apparently he thinks my partner and I can handle it. I think we can, at least until all the other doctors start asking us questions. If anything, it will be something to brag about in a medical school interview.

8 comments:

Timothy said...

I'm so excited for you guys. "The boy" is already cute. Good luck at your new job Elizabeth. Good luck studying for the MCAT Trent.

Alec and Tiffany said...

Exciting news! Good luck on the MCAT!

Jeffrey said...

Trent - uh, I have to admit that picture number looks like you are going to be the proud father of a bouncing....baby...uh...Curious George. Too funny! Anyways, good luck on the MCAT and with the presentation. The answer to questions you don't know is "Further research appears indicated in that area." or "That was not within the scope of our study."

Jeffrey said...

That's supposed to say "picture number two"

Caroline said...

The baby is so cute already! Good luck with your test Trent!

Anonymous said...

Trent!! I'm SOOO happy for you and Elizabeth!! I'm glad to see you're doing so well! Good luck on The MCAT! I know you'll do FABULOUS on the presentation... I've seen you teach :)

Anonymous said...

hey it's nicole and brady! it is so fun to see those pics of the baby! Good luck on the job and the mcat! we'll see ya around!

Tim, Katie, and Chase said...

wow, i've never seen an ultrasound picture that's so clear it is a boy! Congrats on your little guy! Boys are so much fun!