It's been a little crazy at our house lately, but lucky for us the good usually seems to outweigh the bad. I'll just give you the day-by-day rundown.
Tuesday, November 17
Two big things on this day: Trent had a colonoscopy scheduled for 8:20am and I had a doctor's appointment at 9am. We were very glad to find out that Trent's colon looks great. Phew. No Leavitt colon cancer to worry about yet!
While Trent was in his procedure, I dropped Will off with the neighbor and went to the OB...I was thinking I was about 8 or 9 weeks pregnant, but was a little worried, since I'd had a weird bleeding incident a week or so before, so I was really looking forward to finding out if everything was okay. Well, as it turns out, when the doctor did the ultrasound, she determined that what I had was actually a molar pregnancy... (click to read more, but the gist of it is no baby, just a bunch of tissue growing in there, and lots of pregnancy hormones happening).
Needless to say we were pretty bummed. We were looking forward to having a new little baby next summer that would be about 22 months younger than William. But, sometimes your plans just aren't what's supposed to happen I guess. I felt kinda like a dummy, because I was there by myself crying as the lab guy drew a bunch of blood for tests, and then as I got into a crowded elevator full of people, still crying, and especially when I went to pay for parking, and only had about $1.50 in change in the whole car and parking cost $3. I think they guy must have thought I was crazy for being so upset about not being able to pay...haha...but then, I'm sure I'm not the only person to ever go through there crying. When I got home Trent even offered to buy me a Kitchenaid mixer to make me feel better. Maybe I should have taken him up on it, but I knew I'd be feeling guilty about it later, so I settled for laying in bed and watching What Not to Wear (followed by Panda Express for lunch and a strawberry milkshake later that night).
I'm glad I had sort of an inkling that something was the matter, and that I wasn't totally caught off guard, because I think it would have been a lot harder for me to handle. After the initial surprise, I was just looking forward to getting the D&C done so that I could stop feeling sick like I had been for the last few weeks. I'm thankful we know that Heavenly Father's got our backs and knows what we need to go through and what timing we need for our lives. It's still a bummer that we'll have to wait at least another six months before we can start trying to get pregnant again, but what do you do? Just try to have a positive attitude, I guess. For us that means appreciating the fact that we won't have to try to move somewhere halfway across the country this summer with a one month old. And hoping that William will at least be close to being potty trained by the time the next one comes. :)
Wednesday, November 18
I can't remember what all happened this day, except that I had to go in to talk to the doctor about the D&C, then get a chest x-ray (to make sure there weren't any complications with my lungs), and pay off my parking debt.
Also, the timing of my mom's dentist appointments (with my bro Timothy in dental school here) happened to coincide with my D&C and she got here Wednesday, so we got to hang out that night.
Something GREAT happened around lunch time on Wednesday... Trent called me on his lunch break to let me know that the admissions guy from A.T. Still University Kirksville College of Medicine had called him to let him know that HE IS IN! Woo Hoo!!!! I'm so proud of Trent! I knew that all of his hard work would pay off and that he would be getting into medical school for next year, I just knew it! We're so excited to know we've got at least one option. I love you, Trentdear!
Thursday, November 19
I went in around 11:30 to check in to the hospital. Luckily my sister was able to come with me, since my mom was having some oral surgery done and couldn't get there until about a half hour or so before I had to go in. I'm SO glad Caroline was there (with baby Rebecca!) because it would have been a serious bummer if I had had to wait there for 2.5 hours by myself while Trent had to work. What a great family I have. I told Trent, maybe that's why we were supposed to move to San Antonio this year, so I'd have my family here to help me during this ordeal.
I was a little worried about the procedure (they basically clean out your uterus) because the doctor warned us that there's a chance you could lose a lot of blood and even need a transfusion when you're having a D&C with a molar pregnancy. But I guess everything went fine and the doctor said I didn't lose very much blood at all. So aside from throwing up in my mom's car on the way home as a result of the anesthesia, I was really feeling much better afterward, not feeling like a sick pregnant lady anymore. Also, Caroline was thoughtful enough to give us a yummy meal of stuffed peppers and homemade rolls, which really hit the spot after not being able to eat all day.
Friday & Saturday, November 20-21
Trent had to go on a school trip with about 30 students and one other teacher for the Science Olympiad competition in Houston from early Friday morning to late Saturday night. I was bummed that he had to leave, but it turned out to be a pretty fun weekend for me anyway. Friday morning my neighbor came over and helped me with William (thanks Ashley!) and Nicole and her kids came over to hang out which was also great. Then just after lunch time, Caroline came and picked me up so that I could spend the weekend at her house. That was a lot of fun, and it was so nice to not be home alone without Trent again for the weekend.
Sunday, November 22
I don't remember a whole lot about this day...just a usual Sunday, I think...Church...dinner with Timothy and Nicole, etc.
Monday, November 23
Trent didn't have to work all week!! Best week ever. I love having him around...I know, I know, I won't get to enjoy that much once medical school starts, but Oh, it was wonderful. I loved every minute of having him home. I can't remember exactly what we did during the day, except for rearranging William's room, since it now has a twin bed in it as well as the crib. He loves playing on the bed, and it's low enough for him to climb on by himself. It makes the room look a lot more complete. In the evening we went to my brother's house and celebrated Nicole's birthday by making some zuppa toscana together and having some yummy cheesecake for dessert. We love you Nicole!
Tuesday, November 24
Went and got blood drawn to check for pregnancy hormone levels...one of the joys I get to experience as a result of the molar pregnancy: weekly, then monthly blood tests! Me and Juan, the lab tech, are going to be good friends by the time we move. JK...he only ever asks me if I'm allergic to latex. Trent and William came to so that we could head straight to Sam's Club and get a few things, including polish dogs and drinks for $1.70 a meal.
Later on we babysat Mary and Bradley so T and N could go out on a birthday date (since we missed our turn at the babysitting swap last weekend). Then we came home and caught the end of Biggest Loser. We're getting close to the finale folks! I've said it before, and I'll say it again... even if you don't care to watch the show, you've GOT to watch the finale! Maybe I'm just a sucker for a makeover, but seriously. It's. Amazing. When else do you get to see before and afters of people who have lost hundreds of pounds through diet and exercise? It's just incredible... anywho...
Wednesday, November 25
At 10am Caroline, Nicole, and I went and got pedicures while Trent and Timothy watched the kids. It was great. This was only my second pedicure, and I loved it. My toes are pretty. We went and got brown bag specials from Sonic with Timothy and Nicole for lunch and at them outside at our place. Then I think I might have taken a nap while William did, followed by going to T and N's to make sweet and sour chicken and avocado eggrolls for dinner. Yummy.
Thursday, November 26
William turned 14 months old! Oh, right, and it was Thanksgiving. We actually, didn't do our Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, because my mom had to work and couldn't come until Friday, so we did it then. Instead, on Thursday we went to Sea World! We finally bought season passes, and had a great time with our family there. Afterwards, we went to Caroline and Derrick's house for Raclette, and it was delicious.
Friday, November 27
Finished making the rainbow jello (which was a big hit!!), stuffing, and green bean casserole, then went over to Caroline and Derrick's for dinner! YUMMMY! I love Thanksgiving dinner. We also did a little bit of shopping and got some deals on some movies and an umbrella stroller at Walmart. Success.
Saturday, November 28
This morning we went and saw New Moon. I went into it knowing the actors weren't great and the lines would be cheesy, because, well, I saw Twilight, and I was not disappointed! I thought it was fun. I don't mind enjoying a movie I don't have to think about, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. It was originally going to be just the girls going, but Trent wanted to come too (which I secretly love...) and he had higher expectations than me I think, based on the fact that it was a sequel and he thought it should be better, so he was disappointed. But I liked it. Then we went back to Caroline's for leftovers, and to Timothy and Nicole's to watch the BYU/Utah game.
Can you tell that we love living close to our family? It's so wonderful. We're still hoping Trent will get into Reno, so that we can do our last 2 years in LV and be near family again!
Sorry if you fell asleep somewhere in the middle of reading this... It kinda just turned into me wanting to write everything down before I forgot it all... Anyway..I need to go to sleep. I hope you all had a wonderful Thanksgiving like we did!
5 comments:
Elizabeth, I'm sorry to hear about the molar pregnancy. I'm grateful the course of events happened the way they did though, you're safe and healthy. I'm glad the D&C went well(?) and hopefully your body is on its way to a full recovery. D&C can actually be helpful b/c they clean everything out your body's chances of a successful pregnancy next are better. But so sorry you have had to go through that pain and discomfort. Great news about Trent and it sounds like your family is being blessed with preparing for the next big stage in life!! I hope you're feeling well, and glad you shared the news.
And Happy Thanksgiving! It sounds like you had a fun time.
Wow Liz I am glad everything is okay with the molar pregnancy. Those can be pretty crazy. I'm so sorry that happened. I am really glad you are okay though. CONGRATS to Trent on his acceptance!!! That's awesome!!!
Wow, you have really had a tough couple weeks. I am so sorry about your pregnancy! I am so glad you are near family to help you through everything and come with you to appointments and such. If it makes you feel any better(?) ours will be almost exactly 2 years apart, and the closer Chase gets to 2, the more unsure I am that we should have had them so close together. Having one potty-trained by the time the next comes sounds fabulous :)
SO happy to hear your news about medical school. Congratulations to all of you!
Also... I mimic your thoughts about Biggest Loser. It's completely amazing! I always eat ice cream or some other delicious fattening food while I watch it though... :)
Wow Elizabeth, that IS a crazy couple of weeks! I am so sorry. I am glad that you have family there to help you through it and very glad that you are ok! Congratulations to Trent for getting into medical schools! It's always a nice relief to know, isn't it?
Post a Comment