Friday, June 22, 2012

17 months

I keep thinking I should write a post about Jonas.  His little personality seems to be coming out so much lately, and I LOVE it! He is such a fun, funny, and sweet boy.

He is a fairly cuddly boy, more so than I remember William being.  He will often rest his head on our shoulders when we pick him up, or sometimes when we're sitting on the couch or something he will walk up and rest his head on our legs. Today he even blew me a kiss unprovoked. I love it so much when he makes kissy noises at a us, which happens more often than an actual kiss.

Jonas is always making us laugh. He's a little ham.  He will often make the cheesiest smile (aka cheezer) complete with squinty eyes, and the best part is, he totally does it for the reaction.  He knows that we love it and think it is hilarious, so he does it to make us laugh.  When he's sitting in his high chair he'll often tilt his head at you, and just wait for you to tilt your head back and then start laughing when you do. And then of course it becomes a game!

He (like William around that age, and even now sometimes) will just start dancing if he hears music of any kind. It's like he can't resist. And as a result I find I can't help but think about him "you've got the music in you" (like this song). He's a head-bobber.  Me and the boys do a lot of dancing in the kitchen. I fear they get their moves from me.  Jonas also loves to sing. He will often sing along to songs (what he lacks in words he makes up for in gusto). I think it is the most adorable thing ever when he flips the pages of the hymn book at church during the songs and sings and sways to the music. 

Jonas likes to help. He loves to put things away (and sometimes dump them back out again). But we are at that wonderful point where I can give him some simple directions and he will obey. I change his diaper on the floor in the living room and usually use a little changing pad. He loves to put that away for me and shut the drawer.  Yesterday I handed him some clothes that were in the living room and asked him to put them in the hamper in William's room and he ran right down the hall with them and put them in. Now if only I could keep him from getting the floor so messy when he eats.  ;)

He is quite busy.  He spends his days wandering around the house getting into one thing or another.  The other day my friend was watching the boys and commented on how good William is, and will even shut the door when he goes to the bathroom, etc.  I told her he knows he has to shut the door at home or else I will end up hearing  what I did a couple of weeks ago... "Mom, Jonas put his hand in my pee!" Yep. He also loves to climb up on the toilet and grab anything he can off the counter, empty out the cabinets, knock over the trash can, unroll the toilet paper. Needless to say we try to keep the bathrooms off-limits.  The kitchen is another problem area. He's always standing up on top of the tables, making a mess of anything that's up there, and then yelling at me to get him down. His new favorite in the kitchen though, is the dishwasher.  He opens the door and stands on it, bounces a little, smiling all the while, and then goes for the dishes. Golly. 

He is slowly working on communicating.  Usually he just kind of grunts at us. Usually you (I) can tell which grunts mean yes or no, and that sort of thing. But sometimes it's just a blank grunt and we have no idea.  I don't know if grunt is the best word for the sound, but I can't really think of how else to describe it.  Kind of an "Uhh" sound. But he has a handful of words he says regulary: bye bye, mommy, (occasional dada), uh-oh, cheese, Jesus, shoes (those 3 all sound pretty similar), night night, baba (bottle), nana (banana).  He's started trying to say ball and apple lately.  He signs "all done", sometimes will sign "more" and has started signing "milk". He also loves to fold his arms for the prayer lately.  I have to credit his cousin Cora (3 weeks younger than him) for some of that.  He was never really interested in signing or folding arms for the prayer until we spent some time together in Vegas last month and he saw her signing and saying words and folding arms. Maybe he will be full-on talking after spending a week with her while we are on our cruise! ;) 

Anyway, I just keep thinking how wonderful Jonas is and how much I love him and am glad to have him in our family, so I thought I better write it down. Love that sweet boy! He keeps us on our toes, but he brings so much joy and happiness into our home...totally worth it!

No comments: