Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Door

I will begin this post by giving a little background info. Well, first, I have been crazy lately with thinking of ideas of things to do with our apartment to make it cute, and improved in general. So I've been searching the classifieds for a new dining room table (found one for $20 I want to get and refinish), and checking out some awesome blogs with different decorating ideas. Also, I had to make a trip to this store, which I have been wanting to check out for a while. I think it's called Habitat for Humanity Re-Store. It's just basically a bunch of old used stuff from different houses and whatnot. So I was walking around the store when I walked by these shelves with stacks and stacks of old cabinet doors. First I noticed the sign that said "cabinet doors 2/$5", then I saw this door on top of one of the stacks.

Then what happened can only be described as inspiration or a stroke of creative genius hit me. I looked at that door and new instantly that I wanted to buy it, and exactly what I wanted to do with it. I felt a little bad picking it up because we had just talked about how we needed to not spend much money for a little while if we could avoid it....but I was a bad girl and thought, "for $2.50 I will call this a birthday present to myself." So I bought it.

And here was my idea. Paint it dark red/burgundy to match our living room. Put a nail in it, about where you would put a nail in a full-sized door for decor. Hang different seasonal decorations from the nail! I told this idea to a few people and got mixed reactions. Some people seemed to think it was a little odd, but a couple seemed to get what I was thinking. So here's how it turned out:


I still need to hang it up, but I'm waiting till I get a couple of picture frames to go on either side and hang it all above the couch I think. That wall has been way to empty for way to long. By the way, did I mention this was a cheap project? Here's how it all added up:

$2.50--door
$0.89--paint
$0.00--varnish (already had it)
$0.59--grapevine wreath
$0.00--ribbon

Total = $3.98!!! The ribbon is not what I would have actually used if I were to go out and buy some...I just found this in my random stash of ribbons I've saved from presents and whatnot. I think this one actually came from the packaging on a set of baby clothes. But it is green and springy, so it will work for now, though I'd like to dress the wreath up a little bit more.

And if you still think I'm crazy, here's proof that I'm not the only loon out there... As I mentioned I've been having a ball with some cool blogs. One is called Nesting Place. Awesome ideas. Some of my favorite are the window "mistreatments" which I want to try a few of...maybe I'll wait till we move :) and the "10 minutes to a room you'll love" series. I've gotten some really good ideas from here. Anyway, after I had bought my door I was looking through all of her old posts and found this:

Yes, that is a door hanging above her couch. I also love the scrapbook paper lining the wall of her hutch there.

Also, my sister told me about another blog today, Joys of Home, and this lady has a whole label (about 18 posts I think) called "Furniture I A-door" that is all furniture she's made out of doors! Some of it's pretty cool. Here are a couple that I really liked:



12 comments:

Autumn said...

Your door is VERY cute!! You're so innovative :)

Madame Coin said...

That table? Seriously cool!

And I think your idea is way clever.

Caroline said...

Let's see it on the wall :)

Marian said...

Soooo cute!

Kadee said...

Liz, it turned out even cuter than I pictured! I love it.

Unknown said...

what a great idea!!! It was terrific seeing you both today, sorry I couldn't chat more, we have been busy with the M&T weekend

Rachel Weber said...

Don't be creeped that I found your blog! I just wanted to say that I love the door idea! What other things are you going to hang on it? Do you have other seasonal items ready?

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Wow! Very cute!
As for those other pictures, I have one thing to say, they must not have any kids!! LOL!

Alyssa said...

That's awesome! And your door looks amazing! I would have to call that creative genius. I never would have thought of something creative like that. Where is that place that has all of the furniture?

Sharla said...

You have such great ideas. I wish I was as creatives as you are. You rock my socks!

Alice said...

I follow the nester, too. Your idea didn't sound nuts to me at all--some of the furniture on those blogs (not the ones you've shown). . . well, that's another story :D Glad you made it to my blog--I think I tried to invite you with the wrong address before.

kira said...

I think it's a cute idea. I just finally came across your blog...I thought it was private for some reason but was happy to find it wasn't! One idea I've heard for doors is to use them as a head board to dress up your bed for cheap. You've probably heard of that idea already though. :)